Wednesday, July 2, 2008

and we're back...

It's been a busy month at EdReformer Ranch. Lots of stuff going on, but very little of it has to do with education. It's summer break, after all.

But I have not forgotten you, dear readers. Not by a longshot.

I have promised you a proposal that would rock the education world if anyone really had the guts to implement it. I will nto break that promise. But it IS summer, and that's a bad time to launch new and wonderful ideas. So, it will wait. I like building the anticipation anyway.

So there are a few random thoughts rucketing through my brain. (I made up a new word - rucketing - do you like it?)

For example, did you happen to see the HBO documentary about Douglass High School in Baltimore? It was labeled an indictment of No Child Left Behind. Now, I'm not a huge fan of NCLB, though I do like it's basic premise - accountability, but there's no way this HBO film could really have measured NCLB. The footage was shot in 2004, when NCLB had barely taken hold. It can hardly be blamed for this school's many shortcomings.

No, the blame squarely lies with leadership. The principal does not have real control over the students and many of the teachers are just marking time. The good educators are struggling and the real losers are the kids.

No news there.

More random thoughts later....

No comments: